Are you having a bad day? Does everything seem to be going wrong? Does it seem you can’t do anything right?
We all have days like this, and it’s very easy to buy into the negatives happening around you, but it doesn’t have to be that way.
Like the image in this post, you may be given a cactus, but you don’t have to sit on it.
Things happen. Life happens. But it’s HOW you respond to any event in your life that dictates the type of life you will have.
There have been many occasions when I’ve been feeling extremely down, and allowed myself to throw a long pity party – I’ve really bought into the negatives of the situation.
Did it make me feel better? Nope! Did I eventually snap out of it? Of course I did! These negative funks are draining, and don’t feel good at all! I don’t like feeling yuk, so here’s how I snapped out of them:
- I dug out my gratitude journal and I wrote down five things I was grateful for – while I was writing this list, I was sure to allow myself to really feel the gratitude I had for that thing, and I allowed that feeling to flow right through me.
- I listened to uplifting music – something that makes me smile, and makes me feel energized.
- I watched funny YouTube clips – sometimes laughter is the best medicine!
- I downloaded “Damn you autocorrect” which is an app that displays text conversations where auto correct has made the conversation quite hilarious in many cases – again, laughter is the best medicine!
- I worked out – this could be a brisk walk, a run, or doing some weights or yoga – exercise is the most amazing anti depressant in the world. If you’re not exercising regularly, you need to start – especially if you’re feeling down!
Some people buy into the negatives in their life, and they’re doing it because it is giving them some “positives”, such as significance, importance, or some attention they wouldn’t normally be receiving – misery loves company, so some people prefer to milk it for all it’s worth. The problem with this however, is that you attract what you believe, so the more negative your thoughts are, the more negative your life experiences will be.
So… starting today, what steps are you going to take to increase the positive juju going through your mind and in your life?